Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fashionista Escapades: Terengganu

I am really lucky that I had an opportunity to come again to Terengganu. The last time I went to Terengganu was 13 years ago and I really loved my stay there, so much so that I was really looking forward to my trip to Terengganu this time.



If you're flying to Terengganu, you'll be touching down at this airport.





Coastal road from Kuala Terengganu leading to Dungun, where we were staying.

Let me just highlight the best parts, you know, just in case you feel like stopping by Terengganu any time soon;

1) The Food



Some of the cakes and dessert might be a tad too sweet so eat sparingly (if you value your waistline and your health, of course)

Well, this is not to say that the food is so great, and actually not everybody is into fish, but then, I'd say that the Keropok Lekor (and some call it Keropok Losong) is definitely a must-try item. It's great as an afternoon snack or an any time of day snack. Just in case you don't know, it's made out of fish and flour (if I'm not mistaken) and the raw version kinda looks like giant worms (looks yucky, I know, but definitely tastes yummy).


Keropok Lekor is deep-fried (just in case you didn't know)


Voila! The finished product. Dig in!




Raw Keropok Lekor. Looks kinda yucky, right?



Enjoying some keropok lekor at Pantai Teluk Bidara.

Another thing, the laksam is also a must try. It's like noodle soup but the soup's main ingredients are fish and some herbs and spices. Some might not like it cause it's not everyone's cup of tea you see, but if you're adventurous, why not give it a try?



And this is how Laksam looks like


And on hot, sunny afternoons, you might want to wash your food down with some ice kacang =).

2) The Beach


I love watching the sunset.

Gosh, the state of Terengganu is sooooo fortunate to have such a beautiful coastline. And the best part is, the sea and the beach looks great (not like certain beaches here in Sarawak). The hotel where we stayed was right by the sea and waking up to the sound of waves crashing to the beach was really the highlight of my morning.


If you're into high end escapades, then I'd recommend you Tanjung Jara Resort. We stopped by Tanjung Jara for a visit the other day (my mum wanted to go to the spa) and the place is utterly beautiful. I know that fashionista's who needs a lil' TLC would certainly get their fair share of LOVE and CARE there.

Sneak peek of what Tanjung Jara has to offer..


Getting massaged next to the sea *sigh*


Or lazing in a hammock

p/s: they have honeymoon packages *yeay*

3) Crafts and Shopping

Terengganu is famous for its Batik, a hand painted cloth that is definitely pricey. If you're looking for a souvenir, this is certainly one of the places that you can find them.


The famous Pasar Payang

Batik prices usually start from RM150 and above. Pricey but definitely worth it as no Batik is identical to the other (since it's hand-painted *duh*). I certainly took one home with me =)


An array of Batik cloth for sale

4) Places of Attraction


I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Kuala Terengganu, Dungun and Kerteh. Kuala Terengganu has some of the most beautiful mosques and among some of them are:



The color of the domes is what gave the name Masjid Kristal to the mosque. 


From the main entrance leading to the mosque.


Domes and more domes..


The architecture of the mosque..


The view from the back of the mosque.


And minarets..


Stopping to pose at Masjid Kristal.

Masjid Terapung



This mosque is also known as Masjid Tengku Tengah Zaharah (also my spelling might be wrong *opps*)


You could also opt to visit the Terengganu Museum:







Dungun (where we stayed) is a small town just 2 hours away from Kuala Terengganu.


And this is a photo of me doing jumping jacks *haha*

5) The People

What I most envy is the relaxed attitude that most people in Terengganu have. It has this atmosphere of slowing down and taking your own sweet time (which I feel is lost on city-folks sometimes). However, do note that their driving is absolutely horrible so you might want to be a tad careful on the roads.



A fisherman cleaning his boat in Dungun


A kid happily playing at a playground in the middle of the wet market compound in Dungun



A kampung road in Dungun, Terengganu.

So, feel like jumping on the next plane to Terengganu? Cheerio!


Happy camwhoring peeps!


xoxo Fashionista in Action xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment