Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fashionista's Movie Review: Magika

I had the opportunity to watch this movie over the weekend with my BFF (it was her birthday on Saturday and I felt so bad that I didn't celebrate with her on Saturday that I spent the whole day Sunday with her).
This is a movie by KRU productions the KRU brothers (Norman, Yusry, Edry who were once famous as Malaysian's very own rap group), as I didn't know about the movie (don't blame me as the movie promo has yet to reach my eyes and ears) I decided to keep an open mind about the movie and see how it goes.


The movie is basically a compilation of Malaysian's tales (true or otherwise) like Pak Pandir, Bawang Putih Bawang Merah, Mahsuri, Hang Tuah and many other Malaysian stories. The movie started with two siblings arguing and it was later revealed that their mother had recently passed away and they were both coping and grieving over the loss. The brother, Malik ran into the nearby forest after the argument and fell into a well which brought them into the world of Magika. As the day was drawing to an end, the sister, Ayu went in search of Malik and found Malik's belongings next to the well and she went down the well as well.

I am certainly not going to tell you the rest of the story as it would be best that you discover by yourself by going to the nearest cinema. My review? Well, the movie certainly has a very powerful cast with names like Fauziah Ahmad Daud (as the late Mom), Jalalludin Hassan (as the father), Aznil Nawawi (as Pak Pandir), Vanidah Imran (as Mahsuri) and many others. Oh yes, I forgot to mention the leading lady, Diana Danielle and leading man is non other than Malaysian's Mawi (which I am not a fan, however).

Although I was impressed the KRU's CGI (computer generated images) and the scene (for Magika) was certainly set to look very fairytale~ish (at some point it did remind me of Alice in Wonderland of some sort), I do feel that although Diana Danielle makes a good leading lady (I'd say she acts better than Fasha Sandha) but I am not that impressed with Mawi. Blame it on bias but I do feel that the movie would have been better if the hero was other than Mawi.
Overall, I'd rate the movie on a 7 out of 10 for Malaysian movie. It was pretty entertaining, I love the laughs and comedic scene and for a musical it was certainly quite well done.
See ya at the movies!!
xoxo Fashionista in Action xoxo

1 comment:

  1. A great movie, the movies are reviewed with more interesting things than most. Read more reviews from the latest movies at Cinema HD V2 https://cinemahdv2.net/reviews-movie-on-cinema-hd/

    ReplyDelete