Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fashionista Escapades: Singapore

As I mentioned in my last post last year that I was heading to Singapore for my mid-year holiday, right? So, let me share the highlights of my trip, for those who might be thinking of Singapore as their next holiday destination.

I had the good fortune of going to Singapore twice in June last year, one week after the other. We had the good opportunity of staying near to Bugis area and let me share that it was a very strategic place to stay; very near to Mustafa (a great 24-hour shopping spot and very cheap to boot; it is right next to Seranggoon MRT) and also within walking distance to Bugis Village Mall and Bugis MRT station.


This interesting display was found in front of a stall selling fresh fruit juice at Bugis. This certainly is a very interesting way to capture the customer's attention.

So what can you expect from Singapore?


If you're into shopping, it would be favorable for you to go to Singapore either in June (in time for the mid year sale which starts from end of May until end of June) or in December for the year end sale (which coincides with Christmas). Best places for shopping would be almost anywhere because Singapore has an abundance of shopping malls to choose from. One of the best places to go to would have to be Orchard Road as you would be spoilt choices with shopping malls lining side by side all along the road. I got great bargains shopping for Zara tops, the fabrics was absolutely soft and the cutting flattered my shape.

If you looking for fabrics, then Arab street would be the best place to go to. It's within walking distance from Bugis MRT (about 5 - 10 mins of walking) and you'd be looking at rows upon rows of shops selling fabrics from crepes to cottons to silk. Whatever colors and texture, I'm sure there's one for everyone. I'd recommend Arab street especially to those who are looking for wedding fabrics.

Bugis Village, famous for selling street wear at very affordable prices.

If you are looking for bargains, you might like Bugis Village Mall. There's skirts and shawls and tops all at a very reasonable price. You can even find some priced at less than S$10. I even bought gypsy skirts and blouses for only S$10 each.

And for those who love gadgets, my word of advise, DO NOT BUY at SIM LIN PLAZA. We had an absolutely horrible experience with a few shops there who are selling faulty phones and camcorders and were not able to change the faulty phone with a new one. Instead we got into a huge fight with the proprietor but it didn't end well. It was an absolutely hellish experience for me. Instead, I'd recommend you to ION or Takashimaya. There are more choices to choose from and you'd be certain of the quality.

If you are traveling with kids, then I'd recommend the Night Safari for a different experience at the zoo. As the name indicates, Night Safari is a tour of the zoo, at night. If you are going to Singapore for the first time, I'd recommend a short trip there as it is a unique experience that you would never forget.





Besides that, you might also want to bring the kids to Sentosa Island, a theme park with many activities to choose from.


A trip to Singapore is never complete without a trip to Merlion, so we headed there for a final farewell to Singapore's most famous icon.
Happy Holidays!

xoxo Fashionista in Action xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment