Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fashionista's Review: Iftar at Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK)

I had been gushing about my buffet dinner at Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK) for quite some time now on my facebook. Although BCCK had started promoting their buffet breaking fast sessions since last year, I had only grabbed upon the chance to attend this year as it seems like everybody is talking 'bout how good it it is and I've never even been there to sample all those delightful food!

My besties who came with me to break fast at BCCK for our first time.
First of all, the price. The buffet is priced at RM58 nett which is rather okay for me. It's actually in between the normal price that what most hotels charge nowadays so I'm not complaining. But what was a surprise for me is actually the way the whole breaking fast is conducted. Which is a first for me, but when I think of it, it was handled well but they could have done it better (in my opinion).

My entree. Salad and such. As my mum would say, 'you are what you eat'.
When I arrived, we were required to wait outside of the dining hall (which is kinda weird). We were only allowed to go into the waiting area a minute prior to Maghrib call for prayers. At the waiting area, there were dates, nuts and dried fruits. And when the call of prayer sounded, we were served with drinks (selection included Air Bandung, yogurt drink and such). Still we were not allowed to go in. We had to wait about 10 minutes before being allowed to the dining room. Still, pretty weird right? Well, that's what I thought at that time. It was only later that I discovered that they are promoting the healthy way of eating, so instead of gobbling everything the flashes in front of your eyes, you are supposed to sample food in small batches (or something like that).

My selection of dessert. I LOVE desserts!
So, what do you get from paying RM58? First and foremost, I must admit I absolutely love their salad bar. It has everything that I could ever ask for and more. I love the fact that their salad are ultra fresh (which is an absolute must for me) and the other fact is, there are so many condiments that could be thrown into my salad like fresh prawns, cold cut selections like chicken, beef and fish slices and not only that, they also have tempoyak, ulam, keropok lekor and keropok ikan (which is definitely not served by other hotels that I've been to so far).

A second serving of dessert. Did I mention that I absolutely love dessert?
You must be wondering about other selection of food right? Well, aside from the normal cordial drinks, they also serve fresh coconut juice (which I absolutely adore) and soya juice with cincau (the first time I was there, I forgot what they served on my second time there) and for hot drinks they do serve teh tarik, hot coffee, expresso and such. For the main dish, they serve the normal rice with a selection of Malaysian themes dishes like meat in soy sauce and fish in sour sauce and such. Other than that, they also serve two different types of soups (I had the opportunity of sampling Sup Tulang Kambing and Crabmeat Soup. Besides that they also have these nifty little stalls at the corner of the room serving stuff like Cucur Udang, Wantan Mee, Roasted Lamb, Chicken Kebab, Roti Canai, Waffles, Ice Kacang, Ice Cream and many more.

Me looking absolutely happy after breaking my fast. This buffet is definitely worth it! =)
Finally, the dessert section. They have a collection of cheesecakes, spongecakes, traditional malay cakes and fruits for dessert. And for the absolute chocaholic, you can dip your fruits in a chocolate fountain (the only other hotel that I know that has this is Hilton Kuching, but that's for another review later).
My verdict? Truly scrumptious! I absolutely love my time dining there. Although I don't like the idea of waiting a couple of minutes before being let into the dining area, but I love the spread and the selection of food. I would truly, truly go again if I can.
My recommendation? Go! Let BCCK surprise you as it did me. Go and have a wonderful time like I did =)
Cheerio!
xoxo Fashionista in Action xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment