Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fashionista's Review: Iftar at Dormani Hotel


My brother having dates to break his fast

Had the opportunity to break fast at Dormani Hotel with the family during the first week of fasting. We are definitely not your average run-of-the-mill family. First and foremost, we don't see each other as often as what most normal families would. My Dad works in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah and my brother works in Puchong, Selangor. And my mum, although she works in Kota Samarahan, Sarawak but she flies to Kota Kinabalu every weekend for classes (like some sort of flying lecturer). So, you can say that we are a OneMalaysia family since one part lives in Sarawak, another in Sabah and another in Semenanjung Malaysia. But then again, we try to spend time together by getting together and the month of Ramadhan gives us the perfect excuse to sit down and have the occassional family meal together for iftar.



My cousin sampling some of the dishes


We decided to book a place at Dormani Hotel since we heard rave reviews about their buffet spread last year and decided to give it a go this year. For one thing, the price has sure gone up, last year it was about RM25 (if I'm not mistaken) but this year it's about RM38 per person. The buffet spread? Almost exactly like last year. Why the price increase right? Well, we had the normal selection of dishes with white rice, fried noodles or I think we had some sort of fried rice with raisins that day. Selection of drinks only included cordial drinks (with no hot tea or coffee, unfortunately). If you wanted hot tea or coffee, that will be an additional RM7 or RM8 depending on what you're ordering.


Desserts anyone?

The dessert spread was okay. However, since people tend to take more than they can eat during buffets, I found that by the time I wanted to have desserts, the yummy ones are all finished (aren't they always?) and what's left are the not so yummy-looking. But I did sample a marble cheesecake (the only one left on the platter!) and had some pudding.
Us waiting for Maghrib call for prayers before breaking for fast. Notice the array of dishes?


My verdict? I consider it to be so-so simply because, since they had charged 50% higher than last year, shouldn't the food be 50% more than last year? And what's the deal with no hot drinks anyway? What is a little coffee or tea at the side. This is a buffet after all.


So, my recommendation, only go if you feel that the budget fits you or if you like dining there.


Cheerio!

xoxo Fashionista in Action xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment